The series continues by considering how to pay for the social contract, in particular through taxation. We hear from Mark Meckler, co-founder of the Tea Party Patriots and current President of Citizens for Self-Governance; Raúl Carrillo and Danny Sufranski, leaders of the Modern Money Network; and Michele Oberholtzer, a housing advocate in Detroit and candidate for State Representative of Michigan’s 4th District.
For additional information on the issues we briefly examine, we recommend the following resources:
- Shamus Khan, The Rich Haven’t Always Hated Taxes, TIME (Sept. 18, 2012), http://ideas.time.com/2012/09/18/the-rich-havent-always-hated-taxes/.
- Mark Meckler, The Health Care Fiasco Should Make Americans Sober to This Reality, Breitbart (Mar. 28, 2017), http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/03/28/meckler-health-care-fiasco-make-americans-sober-reality/.
- Convention of States, https://conventionofstates.com/ (last visited May 22, 2018).
- Raúl Carrillo & Jesse Myerson, The Dangerous Myth of Taxpayer Money, Splinter (Oct. 19, 2017), https://splinternews.com/the-dangerous-myth-of-taxpayer-money-1819658902.
- Michele Oberholtzer, Myth-busting the Detroit foreclosure crisis, Detroit Metro Times (Sept. 13, 2017), https://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/myth-busting-the-detroit-tax-foreclosure-crisis/Content?oid=5552983.
This episode was produced by Mareva Lindo.
Thanks to Doctor Turtle for the music:
"Lullaby for Democracy" (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Doctor_Turtle/The_Double-Down_Two-Step/lullaby_for_democracy)
"Go Tell It On the Molehill" (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Doctor_Turtle/Flush_Your_Rolex_1416/go_tell_it_on_the_molehill_2)