The final episode in our series discusses how citizens can rewrite the social contract through participation in the democratic process. We hear from Larry Lessig, professor of law at Harvard Law School and 2016 presidential candidate; Eric Liu, founder and CEO of Citizen University; Charlotte Alter, national correspondent at TIME Magazine; and Amanda Nguyen, founder and CEO of Rise.
For additional information on the issues we briefly examine, we recommend the following resources:
- E.J. Dionne & Kayla Meltzer Drogosz, The Promise of National Service: A (Very) Brief History of an Idea, Brookings (June 2, 2003), https://www.brookings.edu/research/the-promise-of-national-service-a-very-brief-history-of-an-idea/.
- Lawrence Lessig, Republic, Lost: Version 2.0 (Twelve 2015).
- Lawrence Lessig, I'm Trying to Run for President, but the Democrats Won't Let Me, POLITICO Mag. (Oct. 1, 2015), https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/10/lessig-lawrence-democrats-debate-2016-213215.
- Eric Liu, You're More Powerful than You Think: A Citizen’s Guide to Making Change Happen (PublicAffairs 2017).
- Eric Liu & Nick Hanauer, The Gardens of Democracy: A New American Story of Citizenship, the Economy, and the Role of Government (Sasquatch Books 2011).
- Eric Liu, How Donald Trump Is Reviving American Democracy, Atlantic (Mar. 8, 2017), https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/03/how-donald-trump-is-reviving-our-democracy/518928/.
- Charlotte Alter, The School Shooting Generation Has Had Enough, TIME (Mar. 22, 2018), http://time.com/longform/never-again-movement/.
- Charlotte Alter, A Year Ago, They Marched. Now a Record Number of Women Are Running for Office, TIME (Jan. 18, 2018), http://time.com/5107499/record-number-of-women-are-running-for-office/.
- Amanda Nguyen, TED: Re-Writing Laws to Help Sexual Assault Survivors, YouTube (Dec. 20, 2016), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBJBi8oyG18.
- Diana Pearl, How a 24-Year-Old Rape Survivor Is Pushing Congress to Change the Way the U.S. Handles Sexual Assault, People (Aug. 30, 2016), https://people.com/celebrity/amanda-nguyen-and-rise-profile-passing-sexual-assault-bill-of-rights/.
- Patrick D'Arcy, How to Turn a Cause into a Law, TED (Nov. 17, 2017), https://ideas.ted.com/how-to-turn-a-cause-into-a-law/.
This episode was produced by Mareva Lindo.
Thanks to Doctor Turtle for the music:
"Lullaby for Democracy" (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Doctor_Turtle/The_Double-Down_Two-Step/lullaby_for_democracy)
"Go Tell It On the Molehill" (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Doctor_Turtle/Flush_Your_Rolex_1416/go_tell_it_on_the_molehill_2)